Monday, November 26, 2007

Mixed Emotions

I've been having a lot of mixed emotions the past few days. On the one hand, I feel so blessed. I have absolutely everything I need. I have a wonderful husband and beautiful, healthy children. I have a loving, kind extended family. I never go to bed hungry. I have a very nice home, and a roof over my head. I have a faith in God that sustains me, and brings me unbelievable peace and joy. There is nothing I could ask for that I feel like I don't have.

When I think like this, I think life is pretty fair. Sure there are people who have more money than me, or a bigger house, and such, but that doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not missing out on anything. But then I start to think of the flipside. I think of the millions and millions of people living in extreme poverty. The children who don't have any parents or family at all. The ones who go to bed with an aching belly because they had one meal that day, if they were lucky. There are so many out there who don't even have clean water to drink. Something I never worry, or even think about.
That's when I start to think life isn't fair at all. Why do I have so much, when they have so little? We are sponsoring a child in Kenya through World Vision, and I know that helps a little. Even helping one child does make a difference, but it doesn't feel like enough. And I just feel so helpless.

No comments:

Post a Comment