Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Faith Club . . .still

Originally posted 9/26/07

I'm still working on The Faith Club. While I really liked the idea of three women from three different religions getting together and learning to understand each other, I'm having a hard time getting through this book. To be honest, it's just not all that interesting.

Also, something the pastor at my church said last Sunday really resonated with me, and it's especially timely considering issues in this book. He said you can't pick your religion buffet style. You can't pick which of Christ's teachings you'll follow, and which don't really work for you. And I guess the same would be true of the Muslim and Jewish religion. And although I don't think religions have to be followed with such rigidity that there's no room for personality or wiggle room, I do think if you're going to claim to be a follower of Christ, you need to be so completely. No buffet style religion. You can't say, I'll follow Christ telling me to love my fellow man, but I won't follow Christ when he says "no man comes unto the Father but by me".

No comments:

Post a Comment