Monday, July 27, 2009

Stuff

I recently read Passionate Housewives Desperate for God. It was a book that definitely gave me mixed feelings. As I was reading, I kept thinking "but what about . . .", and then I realized that most of the time there really were no buts. This book definitely goes against the popular culture of today, but it really was backed by all kinds of Biblical support. So often we discount what the Bible says because it isn't relevant or it's not current, but God's word is unchanging.

This book made a very strong case for women staying at home, submitting to their husbands, having a serving attitude, among other things. I think I read this at exactly the right time for me, because I often feel like I hate being the mom, I hate staying home all day, I hate being the one who has to cook, clean, etc. That attitude is so against what God wants for me. So many times in the Bible we read about Jesus serving others. That was the example He set. Dying to self---it's a very hard concept, and one I suspect I will continually struggle with, but reading this book definitely helped.

Yesterday Kaitlyn and I went to see the new Harry Potter movie. It's been a long time since I read the books, so I can't really say if it followed the books or not. I think I liked the movie. What I remember of the nearly three hours in the movie theater was being really cold. I had goosebumps the whole time. It was unpleasant. Next time I'll remember, even if it's 90+ degrees outside, to wear pants and bring a jacket.

I decided to try the triathlon at the end of August with my Dad and Jason. It'll give me a reason to exercise, and right now I need some kind of motivation. I'll be writing more about it on my fitness blog (link to the right). I will say that this morning I biked about 3 miles, then I thought I'd try a little bit of a run because I felt pretty okay. I ran about a half a mile, and then I wanted to pass out. No, I don't mean that I felt like I was going to pass out (even though I did), I mean I wanted to. I hate running that bad, and passing out would have been an end to it, I think. At least the triathlon is only a mile and a half. I think I can work up to that, and then never run again. Ever.

2 comments:

  1. I want to borrow that book when you are done! It sounds right up my alley. I am proud you are doing a triathalon - wow. If you need some extra endurance, you know where I am (hint hint... smile)

    Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you would carry me during the running part of the triathlon right?

    ReplyDelete