Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Happy Homemaker

I have a confession to make. I would love to be the kind of woman who sews beautiful quilts, who could sew my own curtains, basically one who is crafty and stuff. Sometimes I see something that is way cute, and I think, "I could get out my sewing machine and do that. It can't be that hard." And then I remember what happens every time I pull out my sewing machine. It starts bad and gets badder. Yes, badder. I end up wanting to get a baseball bat and smash the thing to pieces, a la Office Space (with the copier).

I wish I could be a pro at that kind of stuff, but I don't know how to get from the bumbling sewing machine idiot I am to that place. How does one do it? Is there a special gene that I'm missing? I have a hard time even threading the thing. And don't think it's because I haven't read the directions, because I have. Also don't think it's because I need someone to show me, because I've had that too.

So I don't know whether to keep torturing myself, or to figure that it's just not one of my talents, and never will be. I'm okay at other stuff. I can design my own blogs without any problems. I can read a book like nobody's business. The thing is, I really would love to be able to sew. I love going to fabric stores and picking out cute fabrics, I just can't do anything with them.

3 comments:

  1. I hate sewing machines more than sewing so your mom bought me a really basic sewing machine that just does a regular stitch, a backward stitch and a zig zag stitch. It has made sewing so much easier and a lot more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're missing the same gene that I'm missing that is supposed to make me handy.

    ReplyDelete