Thursday, March 5, 2009

I love this

Last night in my Bible reading, I came across some verses that I really loved. They are found in John 3:29-30:

29The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30He must become greater; I must become less.

This was part of John the Baptists testimony about Jesus. I loved the part where he said, "He must become greater; I must become less." Because isn't that true for us all? We all need to make Jesus (and His glory) the greater part in our lives.

This goes along really well with what I'm reading in The Purpose Driven Life. Today I'm on day 5 of 40, and I'm really getting a lot out of this book. I like it much better than Captivating, and I think the reason is that Captivating is so me-centered. The focus on Christ is hardly there at all, and I think it will probably come later in the book, but for right now, it's just really not what I need. I don't need to examine every aspect of my childhood to know if I was made to feel lovely.

It's not about me, and I really dislike books like this, and that may be why I'm having such a hard time with small group right now, because this is what we're reading for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment